Skip to main content

[Eng] My Specialties: Indonesian Studies and Regional/Community Development

I myself have worked in Indonesian studies for 35 years, and during that time, I have made efforts to deepen my experience and expertise in regional/community development in my own way for 25 years.

Therefore, when people ask me what I specialize in, I try to answer that there are two main areas: Indonesian studies and regional/community development.

I became strongly aware of regional/community development in 1995, when I started to work as a regional development policy advisor for Eastern Indonesia.

Prior to that, for two years from 1993, I had studied whether Japan's industrial policy would be effective for the industrial development of Southeast Asian countries. Just then, the World Bank published a report called "The East Asian Miracle," which drew attention to the fact that the World Bank, which had kept a market fundamentalist stance, had given a certain amount of credit to Japanese-style industrial policy. In Japan's industrial policy, there was a discussion about how to sustain contest-based competition policies in industries that are oligopolistic by a few strong companies, as well as appropriate government intervention and the government-private sector relationship.

Later, I entered the field of regional/community development policy, which I was not aware of at all before. Up to that point, the research I had been doing was mainly on macro policies by the central government and the "Indonesia is" approach as a one-country study.

In regional/community development, however, the target region/area becomes the subject. Until then, while surveying Japanese industrial policy, I had studied the historical development of industrial relocation policies, but I only had a rough grasp of the situation in each region of Indonesia in the context of a unite country.

I was actually assigned to Makassar, the largest city in Sulawesi island, where I walked around in various parts of the Eastern Indonesia, in farming and fishing villages, and on remote islands. I realized that what is important in terms of regional/community development policy is how to create a proper relationship between the government and the private sector (residents), how to create an environment in which the private sector (residents) can take the initiative, and how to make the best use of the appropriate economic stimulus to encourage this. I realized that, to a certain extent, it had something in common with government intervention in Japan's industrial policy and the way government=private sector relations should be.

As a regional/community development policy advisor, my main counterpart was the local government, and I worked to make sure that their views and ideas reflected the needs and attitudes at the private sector (residents) level, and how to create an appropriate relationship between the two parties.

And I aimed to be a facilitator-like policy advisor, not offering suggestions and advice.

Even in Indonesia, there is a strong tendency for Japanese experts to seek quick solutions. However, I was keenly aware that I was an "outsider" who was unfamiliar with the place there. The attitude was that if there was a need for a solution, it would not be given by a "stranger" but would be woven by the people there as their own.

I will never forget what someone said to me when I returned to Japan after five years assignment as a regional/community development policy advisor in Indonesia and gave a report at the JICA office in Tokyo.

He says, he can't appreciate what I've done. He can't verify that some policies of Indonesia were realized because I gave the advice. He can't evaluate the advice I gave on what month or day and how it was reflected in the policy in this way on what month or day, without saying that it was thanks to Japan.

In fact, I've seen the scene many times where local government officials have spoken out about what I've proposed. But it was his words that were not borrowed from me. In his own way, he chewed on my suggestions and spoke out in his own words. I couldn't claim that I said that because of my input.

I have never been a policy advisor who writes a policy paper and just submits it to Indonesian side. As a "stranger", I would think with them for a long time, and sometimes I would add ideas that would be outlandish to them, and then I would watch the flow of the discussion and add my own opinions again.

As an "outsider," I can't take responsibility for the future of Indonesia. It is the people who live there who will take that responsibility, and it is the local government. In a way, I decided to carry out my own irresponsibility.

I've had a relationship with them since about 25 years until now. Sometimes they still ask me for advice. However, I can't say with any pride how much I have been useful to them.

But, I feel that the experience of sharing those times, of seriously discussing solutions to problems together, is the basis for trusting them even now. Thanks to their support, I have visited 28 out of 34 provinces in Indonesia and had serious discussions about regional development and other issues.

I don't know if this is the way to be appreciated, but I try to think that this is my style.

As a result of this process, nowadays, both in Indonesia and Japan, I don't work with central ministries as much as I used to, and the emphasis has shifted to working with local governments and local communities. My business trips to Indonesia are now mostly to local areas rather than Jakarta.

I always ask myself if the above methods and ideas are effective in Japan as well. In this case, it is the approach of Mr. Tsuneichi Miyamoto, who has walked around Japan's regions, rather than the academicians who have written many academic articles. Mr. Miyamoto's way of doing things was also very helpful to me when I traveled around Indonesia.

And now, both the Indonesian and Japanese regions have come to realize that the fundamental challenge they face is a common one: how to sustain and develop a local identity. With regard to regional/community development, I began to look at the region of Indonesia and of Japan in parallel, and wondered if the same could be said for regions outside of these two countries.

I am becoming more and more aware every year that by looking at regions/locals from a parallel or multi-layered perspective, from a local perspective, without any  borders, we can address issues that are often overlooked by national units.

Therefore, I will continue my research on the Indonesian region (especially the analysis of the current political economy), but in addition to that, I would like to continue my activities with an awareness of regional/community development that transcends the framework of the state (and the new vision of the future it will create).

Sunset in Makassar, Indonesia. My favorite memorable scene.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[Ind] Mereka Percaya Indonesia Mencintai Jepang

Mungkin ini saya perlu memberitahukan kepada teman-teman orang Indonesia. Ini adalah refleksi pandangan sebagian masyarakat Jepang tentang Indonesia. Beberapa hari yang lalu, ada suatu posting twitter tentang sejarah Indonesia dan Jepang. Jika ada yang bisa baca bahasa Jepang, silahkan membacanya secaralangsung.     Posting Twitter tentang Sejarah Indonesia dan Jepang (bahasa Jepang) ********** Awalnya mulai dari persoalan ujian di suatu universitas swasta. Isinya mahasiswa/i diminta bikin kesimpulan dari tulisan tentang sejarah Indonesia-Jepang. Tulisan tersebut termasuk pendidikan sejarah di Indonesia yang mengatakan bahwa penjajahan tentara Jepang selama 3,5 tahun bisa dikatakan lebih berat daripada penjajahan Belanda. Ditambahnya, pendidikan sejarah di Jepang tidak begitu banyak mengajar apa yang Jepang melakukan di Asia Tenggara termasuk Indonesia pasa waktu Perang Dunia II. Tidak mengajar juga tentang penjajahan tentara Jepang terhadap wilayah Indonesia. Mestinya mahasiswa/i Jepa

[Eng] Start from the Local as Base of Our Life

I was born in Fukushima, Japan, from my father and mother with Japanese nationality. Automatically, I had my Japanese nationality. I did not have any right to choose my nationality. Nothing more than a coincidence. If born in Indonesia from my Indonesian parents, I became an Indonesian. I could not decide to choose the place I was born. If born in the Dutch East Indies 100 years ago, I might have no sense of any nationality. Nothing more than a coincidence. But, after I was born, I had lived with my family at a place. The place is called as my hometown. My place of birth has had a special meaning for my life. Maybe I has lived in several places other than my place of birth. Those places often have special meanings for my life. There are deep memories of my living there. Such place is not regarded as the nation, but as the local. I have special feelings on Fukushima as my place of birth, Tokyo as my current living place with my family, Busan as my first visited foreign city in my life,

[Ind] Kuliah Khusus Online (1) tentang Kusta dan Diskriminasi

Pada tanggal 18 Juli 2020, kami mengadakan Kuliah Khusus Online Yoridori Indonesia (1), mulai pukul 13.00 WIB. Kuliah Khusus ini merupakan kesempatan bagi banyak orang, termasuk tidak hanya pelanggan majalah informasi web "Yorori Indonesia", tetapi juga masyarakat umum. Untuk saat ini, sementara pelaksanaannya secara gratis. Ada keinginan untuk menyebarkan informasi berbagai macam keanekaragaman Indonesia terutama kepada masyarakat Jepang lewat kesempatan ini. Sekaligus, kami mencoba melaksanakan dengan dua bahasa (Jepang dan Indonesia) sesuai dengan permintaan dari pembicara dan ini diharapkan menjadi kesempatan dialog langsung antara orang Indonesia dan orang Jepang di dalam tema yang sama. Dalam acara pertama kali ini, kami mengundang Mr. Yuta Takashima, salah seorang pendiri dan tetap aktif di Yayasan Satu Jalan Bersama, sebuah yayasan yang membantu para pemulih kusta di Indonesia, dengan tema “Berpikir tentang Kusta di Indonesia dan Diskriminasi berdasar Penyakit Menular